One of the easiest ways to level up your look and make your eyes more noticeable is to enhance your eyelashes and eyebrows. There are about a million different ways to do it (including a few that are seriously unfortunate — we’re looking at you, TikTok eyebrow stamp), and choosing the right one can seem seriously overwhelming.
Don’t worry; the team at Lashify® has your back (and your brows and lashes). We’d never suggest a process that wasn’t safe for your natural hair growth or that could give you serious stay-at-home-until-it-grows-out vibes.
In this piece, we’ll give you the scoop on lash and brow tints, including what they are, who can get them, and whether or not they’re heroes or hype.
If you grew up in the 80s or 90s, you probably had your hair tinted a time or two. Tinting was a safe way to try out a new color without full commitment because tints are semi-permanent, which means they naturally wash out in a few weeks.
Likewise, tinting your eyebrows and lashes is similar. You’ll have your lashes or brows tinted by a professional, but the color won’t fade away with washing. Instead, the color will last until the natural lash and brow hairs fall out.
The Tinting Process
Having your brows or lashes tinted is a process you’ll have done in a salon. Unlike eyelash lifts or salon extensions, the process is usually quick, taking just about 15 minutes from start to finish.
- Brows. Your esthetician will clean your brow area and help you decide on the perfect color to tint your brows. Be careful not to go too dark because it can make your eye area look heavy.
Using a special comb, your esthetician will comb a dye through your brow hairs). In about 10-15 minutes, the process is complete, and the esthetician will remove the excess dye with a cotton round.
- Lashes. The process for lashes is similar, but you will likely be given a shield to prevent dye from getting on your cheeks. You’ll keep your eyes closed during the lash tinting experience, and once it’s over, your lashes will be cleaned to remove the excess dye.
If you have eye sensitivity, it’s important to let your esthetician know before you begin the process.
How Long Does a Tint Last?
You can expect a tint to last as long as your natural lash and brow hairs remain intact. The typical hair loss/growth cycle for both eyebrows and eyelashes is between three to four weeks.
Since all your lash and brow hairs are on their own separate cycle, that means you’ll start shedding the dyed hairs at different times. By three weeks, you may notice you’ve shed enough of the dyed hairs that your lashes and brows are no longer as dark as they were when you first got them tinted.
How Much Does Tinting Cost?
Costs can vary depending on where you go, but generally, you can expect to spend $45-$75 per service. That means one price for your brows and one price for your lashes. Keep in mind that it’s customary to tip your lash/brow tech, too.
Who Should Get Lash or Brow Tints?
Darkening your brows and lashes can streamline your makeup routine and help you clean out your makeup bag. If you typically spend a lot of time grooming your brows and penciling them in, a brow tint can prevent you from the hassle.
People with light-colored lashes can benefit from lash tinting because it makes your lashes darker (obvi). This might save you time and make you more comfortable going without makeup on days when you want less.
The real question about tinting is: is it worth it? Here, we’ll go over the pros and cons and help you decide if tinting is right for you.
Pros of Tinting
Getting a tint for either your brows or lashes can be a solid decision. You’ll be able to get more definition without a lot of effort.
Tinting helps you:
- Avoid using eyebrow pencils, mascaras, or other hair-darkening products that can take a long time to apply and might slide off or move around during the day.
- Have confidence going bare-faced without feeling like you have serious mole-rat eyes
- Get darker, more defined brows and lashes without more invasive techniques like lash lifts or salon extensions.
- Avoid makeup that can be hard for people with sensitive eyes to use. If you frequently suffer from eye sensitivity to mascara, an eyelash tint may help.
- Save money. If you’re regularly getting eyelash extensions at the salon or paying for brow maintenance like waxing or threading, the monetary cost can really add up.
- Save time. Getting a tint can streamline your morning routine, saving you time and helping you get out the door a little faster.
Even though a tint can be extremely useful, there are some potential downsides to consider.
Disadvantages of Tinting
Tints can be a useful tool, but here’s what you should know before you darken up.
- They’re short-term. A good tint may only last three to four weeks before you need the process repeated.
- They can go wrong. Make sure you use a trained professional, or you could end up with seriously scary eyebrows and lashes that are too dark and make your eyes look heavy.
- You might want more than just darkening. If you have lashes that are sparse and short, for instance, darkening them won’t make them longer, curlier, or thicker. For that, you want extensions.
- The solution may cause an allergic reaction. If you have particularly sensitive skin, make sure you have your esthetician spot-test the dye on your skin to make sure you don’t get a bad reaction.
If a tint isn’t for you, or if you’d rather try a DIY at-home lash enhancement method, we’ve got the perfect solution.
Lash Extensions At Home
Who doesn’t want longer, thicker lashes without spending three hours of their lives (and three-quarters of their paycheck) at the salon? With Lashify’s DIY Lash Extension™ System, you can have amazing lashes in about ten minutes and pocket your money for something else … like that vacation you’ve been planning for months.
How Lashify Works
The Lashify system works by giving you access to salon-quality lashes and all the tools you need to apply them right in your own home.
Our Control Kit® contains everything you need to get started:
- Fuse Control™ Wand. The application tool that makes applying our Gossamer® lashes effortlessly easy.
- Two sets of Core Collection Gossamer® lashes. You pick the style and length you love to create a fully customized kit.
- Whisper Light™ Dual-Sided Bond. Coming to you in clear and black, our Bonds don’t damage your lashes. They don’t contain any harsh ingredients like formaldehyde or cyanoacrylates. Instead, they contain lash-nourishing lavender extract and biotin.
- Glass. Our popular sealant keeps your lashes in place for up to ten days per application.
- Storage Box. Our box keeps everything you need in one place and keeps your Gossamer® lashes safe and secure, so you can remove and reapply them whenever you want.
You’ll also get some amazing samples of Pre-Cleanse Cleansing Water and Melt Away Remover. These products help prep your lashes for application and make removal a breeze.
The Lashify Process
Once you have your control kit, you’re ready to apply. Don’t worry; it’s really easy, and we have tons of tutorials to help you apply your Gossamer® lashes perfectly. The entire process takes about 15-20 minutes the first time you apply. After that, you’ll learn to get your Gossamer®lashes on in less than five.
Benefits of At-Home Extensions
A lash tint may make your lashes darker, but it can’t give you length and volume. For that, you’ll want extensions. Salon extensions can take up time and money, and once you have them applied, you can’t change the style until you have them filled (about three to four weeks later).
With Lashify’s system, you can change your lash look daily or even hourly if that’s what you want. The choice is yours.
Lashify lets you:
- Experiment with different lash looks. With so many different Gossamer® lashes to choose from, you can build a massive lash wardrobe and change your look whenever you want.
- Avoid spending time and money you don’t want to.
- Have darker, longer, and more voluminous lashes.
- Protect your natural lashes and help support them as they grow.
Who says you can’t have it all? Definitely not us.
Lashify, the Best Way To Lash Out
Tints can be a great solution for people who want darker brows and lashes. But for the ultimate in darker, lengthier, and more voluminous lashes, you’ll want extensions.
Break up with your lash tech and become a believer: Lashify puts you in control of your lash style and gives you more options for creating better lash looks.
Everything You Need to Know About Eyebrow and Eyelash Tinting - Daytona College | Ormond Beach
Know the Risks of Eyebrow and Eyelash Enhancement | American Academy of Ophthalmology
Eyebrow Tinting Gone Wrong - Teen Experiences Severe Reaction to Home Dye Kit | Good Housekeeping