How Do Magnetic Lashes Work?
We will literally do anything for longer, beautiful lashes. From using serums that *might* stain our eyelid skin to pressing animal fur on our lids to get that fluffy fringe, there’s no stopping a person from wanting to enhance their natural lashes.
Maybe our obsession with longer lashes has made us go to lengths we never thought we would, or companies have offered seriously risky ways to enhance our lash line. Either way, we’ve got tons of options for lengthening our lashes.
One way is by using magnetic lashes. It sounds like something out of a physics textbook, but it was born in 2014 by a beauty insider frustrated with the lack of options available in the false eyelash realm.
Together, we’ll discuss what magnetic lashes are, how they work, and whether or not they’re a good option. We’ll also talk about how the Lashify™ DIY Lash Extension™ system works and how it compares to its magnetized cousins.
What Are Magnetic Lashes?
The first magnetic lashes were created in 2014. Initially, they were made as an alternative to the strip falsies that were applied with toxic glue containing formaldehyde and cyanoacrylates (super glue).
The first magnetic lashes worked by placing double bands on your lash line. One band with a magnetic strip was placed underneath your lashes, and the other band (with the lash extensions on them) was placed over your lashes. The magnets in the bands clamped together to hold the extensions in place.
How Magnetic Lashes Evolved
There were problems with the early prototypes. They were notorious for falling off or damaging the natural lash upon removal. They were also heavy due to the dual magnetic bands and added layers of material needed to keep the lashes in place.
Today, most magnetic lashes work by either the sandwich method (similar to the original but updated) or by using a magnetic liner.
How Do Magnetic Lashes Work?
You can find magnetic eyelashes online or in the store. Usually, they’ll come in one of two formats.
These magnetic lashes work similarly to how the OG magnetic lashes did but with a few upgrades. Instead of being made up of two lash bands that sandwich your natural lashes in between, updated versions are smaller. These are essentially cluster lashes that sit on the top lash with a matching band below.
These new types have thinner bottom bands that help distribute weight more evenly, helping the lashes feel slightly lighter and more comfortable than full bands. These aren’t a solution for a “full set” of lashes. These are best for adding a few lashes here and there as needed.
Magnetic Eyeliner Lashes
Another option for magnetic lashes is the magnetic eyeliner set. This type of magnetic lash has an eyeliner that contains iron oxides. The eyeliner is applied to the lid like any standard eyeliner would and allowed to dry completely.
The lash band containing the lash extensions has three to five tiny magnets attached to the upper lash along the line where the eyeliner is applied. The magnets are attracted to the iron oxide in the eyeliner, which causes them to stay in place.
Do They Work?
Magnetic lashes do work and can be a good solution for people who are allergic to certain types of lash glue or who find strip lashes difficult to use. If you decide to use magnetic lashes, there are some things you should consider:
- Most of the magnetic lash strips are made in a one-size-fits-all format. You’ll likely have to adjust and trim them to make them fit your eye shape.
- They don’t feel secure. Many users say they don’t feel like their false lashes are secure when they wear magnetic lashes. Even though they technically should stay put, they may feel loose or as though they are about to slide off.
- You’ll need a special eye makeup remover to take off the iron oxide eyeliner. It needs to be able to remove the iron oxides completely from your eye area.
- If you aren’t good with liquid eyeliner, it can take time to adjust to using magnetic eyeliner. It is applied essentially the same as a liquid liner. You don’t need to be a makeup artist, but you do need to be able to draw a decent line.
- You can’t wear your magnetic lashes in an MRI. If you have that procedure, be sure to remove them and let your provider know you wear them.
- Magnetic lashes need to be removed daily. You can’t wear them for long periods of time.
If your goal was to avoid glue, the lash salon, or paying a fortune for pricey lash extensions, magnetic lashes might seem like the perfect solution. However, if you want lashes that look natural (even at their extreme fluffiest) and last longer than one day, Lashify is your go-to solution.
The Lashify Method
The Lashify method allows you to be your own lash tech, but don’t worry; it’s great for beginners and lash users of all levels. The Lashify system uses ultra-safe Bonds free from cyanoacrylates and formaldehyde and even contains natural lash-nourishing ingredients like biotin and lavendula.
Our Bonds hold our Gossamer® lashes in place, which come in a variety of sizes and lengths so you can create the looks you love.
We saw a need in the market, so we filled it. We wanted gorgeous, cruelty-freefake lashes that looked like we’d had a professional set of lash extensions done, but we didn’t want to spend hours in the salon or a ton of money.
We created Gossamer lashes. Our lashes are built to feel weightless. The Spine™ Base is feather-light, and even our lengthiest, most dramatic lashes feel completely easy to wear and so comfortable you’ll forget you’re wearing them.
Unlike sticky glues that contain questionable materials, our Bonds are actually good for your lashes. Our Bonds are also flexible, which means they never fully cure. This allows them to bend with your natural eyelashes preventing breakage and keeping your natural lashes safe.
The application method for the Lashify system is perfect for beginners through experts. We have a ton of tutorials available to help you get started, but it’s really simple to apply them. Our Gossamer lashes are applied using Underlash™ technology. This means they are applied beneath your natural lashes, helping reduce weight on your natural lash line.
One of the reasons people love to get lash extensions is because there’s an element of ease that comes along with getting a fresh set. You don’t have to worry about mascara or lash application for a few weeks.
Lashify gives you the ability to get similar wearability right at home. With proper care, Gossamer lashes can last up to ten days, so you can keep your glam look as long as you want or easily change it out to something more lowkey if needed.
With Lashify, the power to change at any time is in your hands.
Removing Gossamer lashes is easy and won’t damage your natural lashes. All you need is a dual-phase, oil-based makeup remover to gently glide your lashes off.
The best part? You can wear your Gossamer lashes again and again. You only need to keep them in their original cartridges to keep them safe.
It All Starts With More Control
Our Control Kit™ is the first step in getting the lashes you love without any harsh drugstorefaux lashes with weird glues or heavy magnetic lash kits. The Control Kit contains everything you need to apply Gossamer lashes and to Be Your Own Lash Tech™.
Each kit comes with:
- Two sets of Gossamer® lashes which you can choose. Want effortlessly wispy lashes or mega-glam? No problem, we’ve got you covered.
- Fuse Control® Wand in Classic or Petit Curve to ensure you get the perfect application every time. Better than tweezers, the Fuse Control Wand helps you access hard-to-reach areas, like the inner corner and outer corner of the eye.
- Glass Finishing Coat. The best way to coat and seal your lashes to help them last longer.
- Whisper Light Bond™. Our most popular Bond, that keeps your Gossamer lashes in place for days and days and days…
- Pair of Wandoms®. Tiny covers for your Fuse Control Wand that prevent the wand from sticking to your Gossamers. A must-have for effortless application.
- Pre-cleanse and Melt Away Samples. Samples of our favorite lash cleanser and remover. Pro tip: Pre-Cleanse can even be used as a facial cleanser.
- Hard case and magnifying mirror. A place to put all your Lashy-things.
It’s easy to get the lashes you want without magnetics, dangerous glues, serums, or animal fur. You just need Lashify and a little know-how.
Lashify Gossamer lashes aren’t magnetic, but you’ll definitely be drawn to their ease and look. See what we did there? If you’re unsure, check out our reviews and how many people have switched from salon lashes to Lashify.
Even the best magnetic lashes can’t compare to the safety, ease, and look of Lashify.